02/22/17 9:41am
Like father, like daughter. Marcus and Johanna Kaasik, 9, clamming at a local creek on Sunday. (Credit: Eda Kaasik, courtesy)

Like father, like daughter. Marcus and Johanna Kaasik, 9, clamming at a local creek on Sunday. (Credit: Eda Kaasik, courtesy)

Marcus Kaasik sent us a note, a photo and a reminder that clamming is one of Shelter Island’s great winter activities that the whole family can enjoy, while experiencing a tradition that has to be learned to pass along to the next generation. (more…)

02/20/17 3:13pm
The Ram's Head Inn on Shelter Island. (Credit: Monique Singh-Roy)

The Ram’s Head Inn on Shelter Island.
(Credit: Monique Singh-Roy)

The Ram’s Head Inn on Shelter Island has announced that Matt Murphy will assume Executive Chef duties for the upcoming 2017 season. He takes over the duties from former Executive Chef Joe Smith who worked for many years at the Ram’s Head Inn. Owners James and Linda Eklund wish Smith the very best as he embarks on a new venture. (more…)

02/17/17 10:52am
Nicholas Morehead, the chief operations officer of South Ferry Company. (Credit: Katelyn Knapp)

Nicholas Morehead, the chief operations officer of South Ferry Company. (Credit: Katelyn Knapp)

Shelter Island is a quiet retreat in the off-season and a vibrant, bustling destination for tourism during the summer. And visitors coming from the Hamptons or headed to the South Fork really have just one way of getting on and off the island — the South Ferry.

Nicholas Morehead, chief operations officer for the South Ferry Company, describes the high season as an exciting and challenging time. He enjoys the variety of tasks that his role includes.

“This is a small family business.” Morehead said. “It has been in the Clark family for a few hundred years and is an amazing family legacy and story.” (more…)

02/14/17 6:00am
Credit: Courtesy photo

There will be a silent auction for these wooden fish at the event. (Credit: Courtesy photo)

Taylor’s Island in Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island is perhaps best known as the site of the Smith-Taylor Cabin, the Adirondack style log cabin which was built around 1900 by business magnate Francis Marion Smith (of 20 Mule Team Borax fame).

In 1937, S. Gregory Taylor (Soterios Gregorios Tavoulares) expanded the cabin by adding a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, foyer and landmark tower with a catwalk to the original Taylor’s Island cabin. In 2007, the cabin was added to the New York State and National Register of Historic Places.

On Saturday, March 25, 2017, Greek Independence Day, the Taylor’s Island Foundation is celebrating S. Gregory Taylor at Hanff’s Boatyard, 190 Sterling Street, Greenport. The celebration includes two events — an open house in the afternoon followed by a wine tasting in the evening. (more…)