Looking for a spot for your regular morning joe? Or perhaps you are more of a specialty coffee drinker, looking for locally roasted Peruvian beans.
Here are five picks for grab-and-go coffee on Shelter Island.
1)Stars Cafe: Stars Cafe opened it’s doors in 2006 and offers organic coffee and espresso as well as breakfast and lunch, ice cream, smoothies and fresh juices. Stars’ coffee beans are locally roasted and imported from South America. They include five variations: a dark French Roast, a mild Peruvian, the Shelter Island Blend and Colombian Swiss Water Decaf. With indoor and outdoor seating, Stars Cafe is a Shelter Island staple and a great place to people watch.
Located at 17 Grand Avenue
2) Schmidt’s Market: Schmidt’s Market is a grocery store and deli located in the heart of the island. Serving breakfast and lunch, Schmidt’s is a great place to pick up a sandwich and a cup of coffee. Menu items include The Islander (hot roast beef with melted mozzarella and crispy bacon) and Spinach Goat Cheese Wrap (goat cheese, spinach, tomato and balsamic dressing)
Located at 45 North Ferry Road
3) Marie Eiffel Market: Enjoy a cup of brew with a view at Marie Eiffel Market. Enjoy fresh baked goods, groceries, fresh fish and meat, artisanal cheese and hand-rolled pizza. Sit on picnic tables on Marie Eiffel’s marina deck overlooking Dering Harbor. Read more about the marina deck here.
Located at 184 North Ferry Road
4) Sunset Beach: Order a cup of coffee at the chic Sunset Beach restaurant and cafe. With a French-inspired menu and breathtaking views of the bay, it is a perfect place to sit and sip. Offering breakfast, lunch and dinner, it is a great place for every time of day. Want to stay for a while? Sunset Beach also has twenty charming guest rooms with private sundecks and water views.
Located at 35 Shore Road
5) Shelter Island Heights Pharmacy: While you’re picking up a prescription or sunblock, you can also grab a cup of joe at the Shelter Island Heights Pharmacy. If you’ve got the time, sit and enjoy breakfast or lunch at the pharmacy’s old fashioned lunch counter. It’s one of our favorites.
Located 19 Grand Avenue
6) White Hill Cafe: White Hill Cafe, a full service coffee, latte and cappuccino spot, opened inside The Chequit Hotel this summer. Stocked with a gigantic espresso machine, White Hill Café is perfectly equipped to make everything from lattes to cappuccinos to caffé Americano. Hot chocolate and iced tea are also on the menu. But this time of year they are mostly staying cool with their cold stir-brewed iced coffee.
Located at the Chequit Hotel at 23 Grand Avenue on Shelter Island.
Photo credits: Skye Gillispie